What's my domain again?
Why do domains matter?
Three main reasons:
- Branding – many companies have their brand name as their domain name. This helps users remember the address for the site. Conversely, it can help them remember your brand name.
- Keywords – having keywords as part of your domain might improve how high up the search results you appear for them. However, bear in mind that it’s just one of over 200 ranking factors, and Google downgraded its importance a few years ago.
- Authority – this is a big one. When deciding how high up in the search results a site should appear, Google takes backlinks into account. These are links from other sites, and each one is like a vote. You wouldn’t link to a site that was rubbish, right? If a site has lots of links from high quality, relevant websites, Google’s more likely to think it’s a good site.
What are the advantages of changing domain?
What are the potential disadvantages?
How do I minimise the risks?
- Redirect your old domain to the new one. This means visitors clicking old links will still end up on a live page. And those redirects will also pass over some authority. You’ll need to keep paying for the old domain as long as you want these redirects in place.
- Shout about it. You wouldn’t dream of not telling customers you’ve moved shop or office. The same goes for a change of domain name. You can lessen confusion by informing users via a banner on your current site’s homepage, posting on social media, or adding a section to your newsletter.
- Get in there early. Before the move actually happens, you can build a landing page on the new domain and start earning links. This could be as simple as a ‘coming soon’ holding page. Any improvement to authority before the move will help.
- Inform Google. Set up a Search Console account for your new domain and submit the sitemap as soon as the change has taken place. That means Google will start exploring the new site straight away. Remember to update your email addresses, Google Analytics settings, Google Ads and any other tools you use as well!
Want to know more? Get in touch :)